Manage the production of end-user documentation
The client was phasing out its financial management system software and replacing it with two new systems. There was a need for user documentation to support the migration to the new software systems within a tight timeframe.
- Project managed the design, development and production of user reference manuals to support the systems migration project.
- Collaborated closely with systems developers, subject-matter experts, stakeholders, graphic designers, and other technical writers on the team to ensure that the documentation reflected ongoing system updates in a timely manner.
Create end-user documentation and help files
The client had developed a suite of customized facilities management software applications that displayed spatial components of building database information. There was a requirement for technical reference manuals and on-line help files detailing the functions and features of these tools.
- Wrote user reference manuals for these applications, and created on-line help files using RoboHelp. Documentation included conceptual step-by-step procedures and illustrations of the software interface components.
- Collaborated with graphic design team on design and development of graphical elements.
Document corporate business processes
The client had updated its reporting software program, a business tool that provides pre-formatted national and regional reports related to building occupancy, inventory, and demand requirements. There was a need for a new user reference manual to describe software functionality as well as related business processes.
- Wrote user reference manual combining business and technical information to help end-users learn how to use the technology to perform job-related tasks.
Write instructional manual for end users
The client had introduced new software applications that made its building floor plan information easy to understand and accessible to a much wider audience. This generated an ever-increasing level of discussion around issues of data integrity. There was a need for a national forum in which these issues could be discussed by employees across the country.
- Identified potential user audience of forum and collaborated with ColdFusion database developer to design electronic discussion forum.
- Wrote user reference manual for forum users.
Update reference and training manuals
A branch of a federal government department had updated the software systems that it was using to manage its properties. Updates to both the software and business processes led to a requirement for reference and training manuals for new hires as well as for existing staff.
- As lead technical writer, wrote content for, and coordinated production of, 350-page manual for the Building Management Plan software system. The manual documented the features and functions of the system, as well as the business processes involved in managing buildings under the control of the federal government.
Create training and reference material for end users
A training technology company had developed a suite of software applications to support its training, coaching and knowledge transfer initiatives. There was a requirement for instructional guides for its end-user clients.
- As lead technical writer, produced content for new software applications and, on an ongoing basis, updated the user guides as required.
- Collaborated with IT developers, subject-matter experts and the target audiences to ensure that the documentation met the needs of the end users.
Update back-end user instructional guides
A digital publishing company had developed a software application that facilitates the rapid migration of print materials into an online format for publishing on the web. The publishing platform had recently been updated and there was a requirement for a revision to the existing publishing guide.
- Collaborated with subject-matter experts to identify new features and functions of the software.
- Created a new publishing guide by re-writing existing content and incorporating instructions on new elements of the publishing platform.